gets your audience to respond. In the way you want. In a fresh, memorable way that not only gets you noticed, but gets people taking action.
And while we are on the subject of ethics...
I have to say that it is really uncool when a web firm simply links out to websites in their portfolio or client list with no explanation of their involvement (or lack thereof) in that project.
There are so many facets to website design and development - planning, architecture, design, front-end production, database development, and so on - that simply listing a bunch of URL’s and linking to live websites is at best misleading. My hunch is that in most cases, it’s a dirty trick to gain credibility. The web firm or agency owes you an explanation. Maybe they simply updated the site? Maybe they just changed the flash intro? Maybe they did everything? Wouldn’t you like to know?
Now, if you’re reviewing at a top-tier firm (like Organic or Method for example) I would say you’re pretty safe in betting that when they link out to a website, chances are pretty good that they were responsible for the whole deal. It’s interesting to note however that the bigger firms don’t do that. They opt for case-studies and “real” portfolio entries with explanations of their involvement and effort. In fact it’s in a firm’s best interest to take time to share their process, or explain how they solved the problem with their breakthrough creative and team of talented branding pros.
You know, show their work.
If the agency you are reviewing doesn’t take up even a line or two to tell you what they did, how great they are, or how awesome their solution was, you should ask yourself why.
Most Recent Blog Posts
- Kinetic Type on TV by Dom on Feb 1st
- My At&T DSL Nightmare by Dom on Nov 18th
- Design while you sleep. by Dom on Jul 14th
- Bad pictures ruin good meals by Dom on Apr 2nd
- Click the logo! by Dom on Mar 7th
- Please no more Papyrus by Dom on Feb 1st
- Is email marketing good for... by Dom on Sep 10th
- More portfolio ethics. by Dom on Sep 4th
- Portfolio ethics by Dom on Sep 3rd
- Brand perceptions > ad... by Dom on Sep 3rd
- Small business. Bad websites. by Dom on Aug 29th
- Seven tips for small business... by Dom on Aug 21st
- Graphic Design 101: The Real... by Dom on Aug 20th
- How to evaluate a possible gig by Dom on Aug 20th
- Do a little extra for your... by Dom on Aug 1st
- Leave 'em wanting more by Dom on Aug 1st
- It's who knows you by Dom on Aug 1st